So, Maria Mena is my favorite singer, and her new album is so brilliant, pure genius.
Takes one to know one:
You’ve lived a haunted life
I’ve tried to imagine how I’d feel
If I was thrown into the public eye
Before my wounds had healed
The way you flashed us with your
Scars and told us about your rules
Like we were students in your “how-to-be dramatic” little school.
Now I can understand how
After all that you’ve been through
You’d lock yourself inside
Waiting for us to come and rescue you
But what I can’t fathom is
While imprisoned in yourself
You wouldn’t ever take a look around
Just blame everyone else,
Pulling the “look-at-me-I’m-hurt” card
Got you friends that wouldn’t dare
Question any little tantrum
No, halfway – they would meet you there
Your lover fears your reactions
He’s like a puppy on a leash
He doesn’t tread outside the boundaries
Without saying “please”
Now I can understand how
You’d be scared to trust again
Seeing how fame would be a magnet
For attention seeking friends
But what I can’t fathom is
If your friends lie to keep you calm
You wouldn’t ever ask yourself
Who they go that idea from
I could be scared of you
I would cater to your needs
Your dominating ways, my overwhelming fear of conflict feeds
But I’ve learned to get involved
By admitting more about myself
Takes one to know one hone, trust me take a look inside yourself.
I’ve tried to imagine how I’d feel
If I was thrown into the public eye
Before my wounds had healed
The way you flashed us with your
Scars and told us about your rules
Like we were students in your “how-to-be dramatic” little school.
Now I can understand how
After all that you’ve been through
You’d lock yourself inside
Waiting for us to come and rescue you
But what I can’t fathom is
While imprisoned in yourself
You wouldn’t ever take a look around
Just blame everyone else,
Pulling the “look-at-me-I’m-hurt” card
Got you friends that wouldn’t dare
Question any little tantrum
No, halfway – they would meet you there
Your lover fears your reactions
He’s like a puppy on a leash
He doesn’t tread outside the boundaries
Without saying “please”
Now I can understand how
You’d be scared to trust again
Seeing how fame would be a magnet
For attention seeking friends
But what I can’t fathom is
If your friends lie to keep you calm
You wouldn’t ever ask yourself
Who they go that idea from
I could be scared of you
I would cater to your needs
Your dominating ways, my overwhelming fear of conflict feeds
But I’ve learned to get involved
By admitting more about myself
Takes one to know one hone, trust me take a look inside yourself.
It took me by surprise:
| I would react badly To the slightest hint of hesitance He’d bend awkwardly to suit my mood No word from his defense I’d cry knowing how my tears Felt like acid burning through his skin Pushed every little button But the right one that would let me in Now he’s afraid of me Now he’s afraid of me It took me by surprise The hatred in his eyes I’ve pushed this man as far as he could go But he lacked the words to let me know He acted out, now I can see it was my fault I made changes That went unnoticed Sang songs for deaf ears He mistook my silence for punishment As it had been all these years I’d cry knowing how my tears felt like acid burning through his skin Now he’s afraid of me Now he’s afraid of me It took me by surprise The hatred in his eyes I’ve pushed this man as far as he could go But he lacked the words to let me know He acted out, now I can… It took me by surprise The hatred in his eyes I’ve pushed this man as far as he could go But he lacked the words to let me know He acted out, now I can see it was my fault |
Secrets:
There’s a room inside your gut
Close the door and keep it shut
Let no daylight enter in
And the punishment begin
Who are you now to decide
Whether or not I can
Be exposed to what you hide
Just be a strong and silent man
But every wrong turn that you make
Will also be my mistake
Cause we’re connected through our hearts
And devastating part
Is that I foolishly defended you to myself
But secrets always have a way of coming out
I’m beginning now to see
What you must have thought of me
In a body-cast of glass
Life-changing information
Should just pass
But I don’t break that easily
And if you dared then you should see
That I can carry all the weight
Of the burdens on your plate
But every wrong turn that you make
Will also be my mistake
Cause we’re connected through our hearts
And devastating part
Is that I foolishly defended you to myself
But secrets always have a way of coming out
But every wrong turn that you make
Will also be my mistake
Cause we’re connected through our hearts
And devastating part
Is that I foolishly defended you to myself
But secrets always have a way of coming out
Close the door and keep it shut
Let no daylight enter in
And the punishment begin
Who are you now to decide
Whether or not I can
Be exposed to what you hide
Just be a strong and silent man
But every wrong turn that you make
Will also be my mistake
Cause we’re connected through our hearts
And devastating part
Is that I foolishly defended you to myself
But secrets always have a way of coming out
I’m beginning now to see
What you must have thought of me
In a body-cast of glass
Life-changing information
Should just pass
But I don’t break that easily
And if you dared then you should see
That I can carry all the weight
Of the burdens on your plate
But every wrong turn that you make
Will also be my mistake
Cause we’re connected through our hearts
And devastating part
Is that I foolishly defended you to myself
But secrets always have a way of coming out
But every wrong turn that you make
Will also be my mistake
Cause we’re connected through our hearts
And devastating part
Is that I foolishly defended you to myself
But secrets always have a way of coming out
Am I supposed to apologize:
I wrote a song, a journal
Gave it to the world
Told the story
Of when I was just a girl
I sought understanding
Clarity in truth
By baring all the wounds
Inflicted on my youth
You critizied my voice
To stand up to my past
To give the pain a voice
So that it could pass
But I felt brave
And filled with pride as I let go
Of bitterness that wouldn’t leave or let me grow
And I will spend a lifetime
Trying to understand
Why someone sharing my bloodline
Would not lend me their hand
Am I supposed to apologize?
I’m supposed to apologize
I’m supposed to apologize
I’m supposed to apologize
I loved here more than myself
But she made me choose
Between her and my father
And so I refused
I fled her house and writh
Eleven years of age
Followed the crooked path
That led me to a stage
The curtains opened up
My heart followed the lead
The music wouldn’t stop
And I could finally breathe
But I will spend a lifetime
Trying to understand
Why someone sharing my bloodline
Would not lend me their hand
Would not lend me their hand
Am I supposed to apologize?
I’m supposed to apologize
I’m supposed to apologize
I’m supposed to apologize
Gave it to the world
Told the story
Of when I was just a girl
I sought understanding
Clarity in truth
By baring all the wounds
Inflicted on my youth
You critizied my voice
To stand up to my past
To give the pain a voice
So that it could pass
But I felt brave
And filled with pride as I let go
Of bitterness that wouldn’t leave or let me grow
And I will spend a lifetime
Trying to understand
Why someone sharing my bloodline
Would not lend me their hand
Am I supposed to apologize?
I’m supposed to apologize
I’m supposed to apologize
I’m supposed to apologize
I loved here more than myself
But she made me choose
Between her and my father
And so I refused
I fled her house and writh
Eleven years of age
Followed the crooked path
That led me to a stage
The curtains opened up
My heart followed the lead
The music wouldn’t stop
And I could finally breathe
But I will spend a lifetime
Trying to understand
Why someone sharing my bloodline
Would not lend me their hand
Would not lend me their hand
Am I supposed to apologize?
I’m supposed to apologize
I’m supposed to apologize
I’m supposed to apologize
The rest of those brilliant songs...discover them by yourself. Really, the album and she as a person are brilliant. LISTEN AND BE AMAZED.

2 comments:
Thank you so much for the beautiful comment.
I love you very much too. And not just cyber love, real proper love. I really do.
You always know how to say just the right thing. Thank you beautiful.
I love her song, 'nevermind me', but I think I'll go check out some of her new stuff now :)
xo
*hug* Thank you for calming me down. I don't know what I would do without you in my life.
I love you!
-Vizzy
Post a Comment